Procrastination is a subconscious attempt to delay the inevitable. It is a tiny hope that somehow, what seems difficult or boring now, will prove to be easier or better still unnecessary later on. And you should not discard that possibility all together. Miracles do happen!
Yet, you can tell that you are compulsively procrastinating when:
1. You get a sudden strong desire to make a 3rd cup of coffee or to grab a snack
2. You become easily annoyed by clutter on your desk and without a further “adieu” you start cleaning out the drawers
3. You become annoyed by clutter on your colleague’s desk, so you volunteer to help them clean it.
4. You go on smoke breaks, even though you are a non-smoker.
5. You check your mail box every half an hour, so you will not miss an important email, just like you did that one time 2 years ago…
6. You have 20 tabs opened on your computer (half of them from youtube.com)
7. You are excited about sending all of your friends a funny joke that you accidentally stumbled upon five minutes ago.
8. Something “highly” urgent comes up and you feel that you must put everything else on hold.
9. You ask your coworker about the cute picture of a cat on her desktop
10. You sharpen your pencil and draw a little picture to test it out
11. You come up with 10 possible scenarios of how you may escape doing the project
12. You call your spouse to check how they are doing
13. You decide to quickly take a 5 minute break from work and check your facebook account
14. You are eager to speak with a person that you have not seen since elementary school.
15. You get upset just by thinking about the certain task, so you do your best to distract yourself by doing something else.
16.You are secretly mad at your boss for making you do this stuff.
17. You know that Solitaire is the coolest game of all!
18. You know that Solitaire is not the coolest game of all, but you are willing to compromise
19. You suddenly realize that you had a rough week and you deserve a break
20. You decide to give yourself a little “reward” first to motivate yourself into doing something else
21. You just know that you will feel especially productive and inspired tomorrow.
Fun ways to overcome procrastination:
1. If you are doing any of the above mentioned activities – you are procrastinating. Just come clean and admit it. It frees up a lot of your energy that has been wasted on excuses.
2. Use a sandwich method! I have a question for you… What is it that makes a piece of bread taste much better? A slice of cheese or smoked ham in the middle!
Apply the same method to make your daily routine less plain. Always insert a pleasant and easy task in between the main task that you need to do. Promise yourself that if you work on the main task for 25 minutes and you can then switch to something a lot more pleasant. The hardest part is starting. The moment you begin you might actually find yourself willingly working towards completing the whole project! I realize that it sounds unlikely, but, it CAN happen!