It is not hard to be thankful, when you are living in a contemporary mansion with a private swimming pool, surrounded by accomplished friends, loving family and all the luxuries money can buy. Or at least this is what many people like to think.
There is no doubt that it is easier to count your blessings when everything in your life is going smoothly, but I believe in two things:
1. A true sense of gratitude and well-being comes from the inside. It is a feeling that arises in the heart for no particular reason, just for the fact that the sun has risen or we are feeing alive. We can choose to feel this way no matter what the circumstances are.
2. Success and happiness starts with an attitude, not vice versa. Highly successful people do not become happy and grateful as soon as they make their first million dollars or see their face on a magazine cover. They think and feel successful long before they have any reasons to do so, and success always follows.
What if the same is true for gratitude?
When we are able to feel grateful for no reason, blessings will follow in abundance. This is what many success gurus talk about. Maybe it is time we start listening?
8 Thankful Quotes from ‘rich and famous’
1. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
What we focus our thoughts on we attract. It is no secret that if we focus on what we are deficient in we attract more deficiencies into our lives. I believe that this is the main reason why rich people become wealthier, while poor become poorer. It has nothing to do with luck, start up capital or right connections and everything to do with your attitude. I bet there are plenty of things that each and every one of us can be grateful for. The more we concentrate on our blessings, the faster our dreams will come true.
2. “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” - Frank A. Clark
People often forget one thing – no matter how much their circumstances change they will be taking themselves into the future. If we fail to see our blessings today, how will this be different tomorrow without us changing our mindset and getting out of the state of wanting?
3. “In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” - Albert Schweitzer
Think of old friends who have shared their happiest moments with you. Think of your grandmother who was always worried that you were not eating well enough. Think of all the people who have taught you something, helped you in some way. Each and every one of them has left a small imprint on your life, making it happier, richer and more beautiful.
4. “If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, “thank you,” that would suffice” - Meister Eckhart
I sometimes wonder how our life would change if every time we felt like criticizing a person we mentally thanked them for something instead. Why don’t we try it just for today and see what happens?
5. “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” - Cynthia Ozick
What do you take for granted in your life? Look around you! There are a lot of things that have become so familiar, we do not notice or appreciate them any longer. Let’s take your office chair, for example. A lot of people have put their time and effort into designing, perfecting, assembling, and delivering this chair to you with the single objective – that you will be comfortable. Ahhhh… It does feel good to close your eyes and lay back in it for a few minutes!
If you need more ideas on things to be grateful for, you can find plenty here.
6. “Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.” - Brian Tracy
It is not always easy to see blessings in our challenges, lessons in our failures and opportunities in our problems. But there is a reason we have been given them and as time passes we are usually able to see these reasons more clearly. When you find yourself in a particularly dark place in life, choose something very simple to be grateful for and soon your sadness will pass.
7. “In ordinary life we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.” - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
When someone passes us a cup of coffee, we say “thank you”. How come when the Universe passes us yet another blessing, we gladly take it, convinced that we deserve it? Make it a habit to give thanks for every present in your life – both big and small, and you will instantly feel richer.
8. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” - Voltaire
They say that people we meet serve as our mirrors. When we see something negative in others, we are shown our own shortcomings. When we take time to admire and appreciate everything that is wonderful about people we meet, we actually see our own potential. At the end it is not that hard to improve your character and even your life – all you have to do is judge less and express your gratitude more often.
Do you believe that an attitude of gratitude is a key to leading successful and fulfilling life?
What is it in your life that you would like to say “thank you” for?